News about The History Trust and our member organizations.
- You’re invited to explore local history, August 4!Volunteers will be on hand to help you explore 50,000 items from the digital collections of local historical societies, museums, and libraries. Or, focus on activities of area residents during the past 100 winters.
- Seeking Contract Exhibit CuratorThe History Trust seeks a Project Curator who will collaborate with community scholars to create an online exhibit in early 2022. Funding for the exhibit project ($7,500) is being provided by The Maine Humanities Council and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) as part of the American Rescue Plan…
- Local. History. Social.You’re invited to August 19 reception to see the work of History Trust member organizations in preserving local history.
- Pauline Angione HonoredPauline Angione is recognized for her substantial contributions to The History Trust and MDI Historical Society with the 2021 Ann Benson Award for Volunteer Excellence. Executive Director Raney Bench summarizes Pauline’s accomplishments in this video clip from the Society’s annual meeting (4 min, 30 sec).
- History Trust Launches First Digitized Exhibition The future of history has never looked so good. At least here in the Mount Desert Island area.
- Cranberry Chronicle #43Of particular interest to History Trust members is the article about the society’s longtime archivist, Anne Grulich, who moved to Colorado in June.
- Good Connections on Great Cranberry IslandOn a sunny August afternoon, I sat with leaders of Great Cranberry Island Historical Society at a picnic table outside Cranberry House. I learned of the impressive services the society offers their island community.
- History Trust NewslettersPeriodic reporting of History Trust Governing Council activities, beginning in 2020.
- New Collections OnlineEight History Trust organizations that had not been using Digital Archive now have their sites populated with the images and metadata produced by HistoryIT in
- Project Manager Joins the TrustBruce Jacobson has been brought on board to oversee operations of The History Trust, and to help guide the collaborative into its next stages as a nonprofit organization.
– Image: “Bar Harbor Times, Issue Date: January 6, 1917,” Newspaper Archive.