Quick “Here’s How” to help anyone use the Digital Archive, and more technical Digital Archivist Notes for History Trust members that enter and manage data.
“Here’s How” to Use Digital Archive
- Here’s How to Change the View in Digital Archive
- Here’s How to Find Items About Places in Digital Archive
Quick Tip: You can search the Digital Archive in three ways
- Type keywords into the search box.
- Click facets in the Refine Your Search panel.
- Use the Advanced Search page.
some search results examples
- grid view of items with images, sorted by Title
- all items, indexed by Creator
- items having subject “Structures”, indexed by Title
- search results for “dorr” or “deasy” (note that the hit on item bhvia-1049 is a PDF file)
- search results for “bar harbor” in a compact Type/Subject layout
- items dated from 1830-1930, indexed by Place
Digital Archivist Notes
Digital Archivists are members’ staff and volunteers who maintain a Digital Archive collection. They have a Digital Archive username and password that lets them log in and see all public items in their collection as well as non-public items and private fields. (These login credentials differ from those that Governing Council representatives use to access the Council Workspace.) Digital Archivists can add new items, edit existing items, attach images and PDF files to items, edit vocabularies, and establish relationships among items.
- MapsAlive and Digital Archive - AvantLogic announces integration between the Digital Archive and MapsAlive.
- Scanning Tips: Using Plustek OpticBook - A workshop video with tips for using the Plustek OpticBook A300 Plus on loan to History Trust members from the Maine State Library (July 2021).
- Logging In to Digital Archive - This PDF document explains the login process for History Trust digital archivists.
- Creating an Item in Digital Archive - This PDF document gives you a quick look at a typical input form for creating a record (“Item”) in the History Trust Digital Archive.
- Step-by-Step: Creating and Editing a Digital Archive Item - Using two videos, Willie Granston shares his step-by-step method of entering and editing an item in Digital Archive.
- Getting Started With Digital Archive During A Pandemic - Stuck at home? There's lots you can do now! Watch how Willie and I entered 500 Great Harbor Maritime Museum objects from home. Start with . . . what you care about!
- Cataloging and Entering Bulk Items in Digital Archive - A member asks. Other members respond. "I’d like to catalog only those items of historical interest to the general public. Is that a huge mistake?"
NOTE: Learning resources are currently being developed.
- Digital Archive documentation offers help for users, archivists, administrators, and developers; created by George Soules of AvantLogic (digitalarchive.us).